But the best was yet to come: after following a few twists and turns through the smellier portion of the museum (where a river of sewer water rushed continuously under the grates we were walking on), we came to a long, straight tunnel where a chronological account of the steps leading to the development of Paris' modern sewer system was given, complete with English translations. If you have any interest in urban planning, the early development of Paris, or water-related public health issues, I highly recommend it!
Enlarge this picture and you can learn how to say "sewer" in German, Spanish, Italian, AND French!
The sewers turned out to be an appropriate destination for Earth Day -- plenty of info about safeguarding our precious water resources
This being France, there was, of course, also a literary angle (a small corner of the museum dedicated to the role of the sewers in Les Miserables)
I was surprised to learn that visits to the sewers have been offered for well over 100 years
Sewer under construction in 1922
I enjoyed the trilingual signage (esp. the word besichtigungsweg)
No comments:
Post a Comment